ENROLLMENT 8,600 FOR ALL UNIVERSITY

Only 850 Civilians Begin New Term

Harvard College began the winter term of its three hundred and eighth year yesterday with an enrollment decline of around 150 civilian students. Only 61 new Freshmen registered last Friday, and even the addition of 80 civilian students returning from leaves of absence does not make up the loss caused by men graduating and the calling of 18-year-old Army reservists.

Complete figures are as yet unavailable, but the enrollment figures for the winter term should fall between 850 and 875 as compared with last term's 1,002. About half this number fall into the category of Freshmen, either in '47a or '47b.

250 Go

Over 250 students left Cambridge at the end of October. One hunderd of these received their sheepskins, bringing the graduation total to around 150, while 100 more left for the armed services or severed their connections with the College for other reasons.

Almost a thousand more civilians will be enrolled in the University post-graduate schools, as more draft-exempt students boost lagging figures by taking up the study of engineering, law, arts and sciences, dentistry, public administration, and education. The Divinity School will enroll 75 4-D's, while the School of Public Health will cater to 40 students.

Nieman Fellows Study Here

Eighty-one experienced executives will take special courses at the Business School, and 11 newspapermen will begin their liberal arts studies as Nieman Fellows. The newspapermen will consider mainly the handling of postwar problems.

Total University enrollment has dropped, however, from the peacetime average of 8,000 to a wartime low of 1,800, and the difference has been made up by the Army and Navy, which have sent men here to take advantage of the University's special facilities to acquire new and needed wartime skills.

Total Enrollment 8,600

Counting the service schools, University enrollment is up to 8,600 and is not dropping. Service men have taken over four of the seven Houses and all the Yard halls, in addition to the requisitioning of Claverly and many other former Cambridge College dwelling places.

Many of the University landmarks have been given over almost entirely to the prosecution of the war, including most of the President's house, the Littauer Center for Public Administration, the Langdell Law School Hall, the Hemenway Gymnaslum, Austin Hall, and Mem Hall on non-enrollment and test days.

Surrounding the 1,800 civilians in the undergraduate college and the 11 graduate schools are 4,200 Navy officers, officer-candidates, and student officers, and 2,600 Army officers, officer-candidates, and enlisted personnel. The Navy men are split between the Naval Training Schools Communication, Radar, Supply Corps, and V-12, including the NROTC. The Army men live and study in the Chaplains School, ASTP unit, Overseas Administration School, and other miscellaneous outfits.

Civilians, Army men, and Navy officer-candidates take their physical training programs together, and men in the V-12 unit share classes with civilians. The V-12 and ASTP are all under University Hall domination, bringing the total number under the aegis of Dean Buck to over 2,500. The V-12ers are also college undergraduates