NAVY TO SING IN GLEE CLUB

Communications Group to Join with Harvard, Radcliffe

Boasting a sturdy nucleus of twenty-five singers, the Harvard Navy Communications School Glee Club will make its first formal appearance in a joint concert with the Harvard Glee Club and Radcliffe Choral Society in Sanders Theater March 4.

The group is the brain child of Leroy S. Merrifield, former member of the University of Minnesota Glee Club, who reasoned that in a community of over a thousand college graduates there should be sufficient interest to support a fair-sized glee club. Merrifield first contacted Lt. (jg) L. L. Sheeley, welfare and recreation officer, and Harvard's music department, both of whom agreed to cooperate. The music faculty even went so far as to supply the embryo organization with a conductor, Irving Fine '37, assistant conductor of the Harvard Glee Club.

After two weeks of practice, the club, despite its limited repertoire, is beginning to sound like a polished, well-balanced unit. An initial advantage was that all members have had some form of musical training in college choruses, church choirs, and other choral groups. Chief difficulty, aside from the little free time for rehearsals, is the rapid turnover in the communications school, which precludes any possibility of a permanent group.

For the Sanders concert, Fine will lead the singers in a group of three sea chanteys, featuring the glee "To All You Ladies on Shore". They're still worrying about the other two.