COUNCIL ALLOCATES FUND OF $10,115, PLANS FLEXIBLE NOMINATION SYSTEM

PBH Receives Large Part of 1943 Funds

With Phillips Brooks House heading the list of beneficiaries, the Student Council announced last night its decisions on the distribution of this year's Student Fund. "The response to the drive has been most gratifying," the council said, stating that $10,500 of the $13,000 goal had been collected.

At the same time, they announced the election of Thomas V. Keene '45 of Indianapolis and Winthrop House to the position of treasurer. Keene is replacing John P. Kennedy '44, who has been in charge of the drive up to this time, but who is being called into the armed services shortly.

Of the total collections, $10,115 has already been allotted, with $4000 going to P.B.H. There it will be used to support the settlement house work of the House and other social service activities.

Accounting for a total of $3000, twice that of last year, the Council awards to charities will this year be divided principally among the United War Fund, the Red Cross, and the World Student Service Fund. In addition, smaller donations were made to several other organizations.

The third largest appropriation, $2500, was made for the Student Council Scholarships, which are awarded to needy students to tide them over difficult times when normal sources of revenue are inadequate. The awards are annually made to 90 students.

Next on the list, the Council announced the allocation of $400 for its own incidental expenses. An additional $115 has been set aside for the expenses of elections, while the final $100 has been assigned to defray the expenses of collecting the Fund.