RUBBER SITUATION BLOWS UP IN FAN DANCER RAND'S FACE

Artist Abandons Balloons To Aid in the War Effort

Exposing the bare facts that her balloons were getting thinner and thinner, Sally Rand told a delegation of reporters who thronged her dressing room in the R.K.O. Theater in Boston Saturday night that the rubber shortage was affecting her more than any one else in America.

"People will just have to get used to seeing me without my balloons," she said dejectedly, "I can't get more these days. I'll simply have to do what other people are doing when they wear out their automobile tires, go without them."

Miss Rand then explained how she had always produced her own balloons before the war. They were so good that the government had been buying them from her to use as target sleeves for gun practice. Being bright red they could be seen easily by gunners.

But now, the balloon queen sighed, she could not get any balloons at all. She didn't mind too much, however, because she remembered that "fans were made before balloons" and besides, "I made good money before they invented fans."

Remembers Dance

Although depressed by the bare facts of shortages, Miss Rand smiled when someone reminded her of the day two years ago when she visited Harvard College and was escorted to a dance by a group of students.

"It was a lot of fun", she said, "if they want me to come again, all they have to do is come and get me. I love to visit!"

Miss Rand intimated that she would love to see Harvard again because of "the same old reasons". The same old reasons were printed the other time the burlesque queen was here.

When asked to think of some awful reason for disliking Yale men, Miss Rand was unable to comply. "I can't think of a damn thing," she apologetically told the reporters, "but Harvard ranks first because I've seen a great deal more of Harvard men."