NEWS FORUM GROUP FORMED

Government Department to Sponsor Timely Discussions

A new plan for the discussion of current affairs will be inaugurated with an informal forum in the Lowell House Junior Common Room on Wednesday, March 24, at 7:30 o'clock, Henry C. Thomson, teaching fellow in Government, announced yesterday.

Although this discussion has been organized on a purely unofficial basis, it is expected to be the first of a series of such programs which will be sponsored by the Government department. It is hoped that it will be possible to set up a separate group in each of the Houses under the direction of the House Government tutors and the undergraduate concentrators in that field.

In the first meeting Charles R. Cherington and Dr. Roland A. Young, instructors in Government and tutors in the department of government, will lead a discussion of the two major parties in the election of 1944. Young is probably better known for his recent book, "This is Congress," which has caused much comment.

This plan has been modeled after the units established at Oxford and Cambridge Universities where weekly meetings are held for the purpose of discussing current government policies.

In the same way the local group will take up subjects of current interest and in the future will discuss the Beveridge Plan, the Ruml Pay-As-You-Go Plan, Lend-Lease, Rickenbacker's attack on American labor, and other timely matters.