WOMEN TAKE OVER MASCULINE TASKS AS EMPLOYMENT RISES

University Office Replacing Men in All Types of Jobs

A woman's place may be in the home, but you can't tell that to the Harvard Employment Office. A 40 percent increase in the number of employees this year includes a 25 percent rise in feminine help, a 10 percent larger increase in women than in men. Besides their usual posts as waitresses, chambermaids, and office workers, the weaker sex has assumed many positions formerly considered too strenuous for them.

In the Anonymous Research Laboratories, the women have taken over plenty of jobs that used to be for men only. There are now three women beach wagon drivers and 12 machinists. Four drafts women also hold positions in the labs.

Besides these, there are several female stock room clerks and messengers, two or three blueprint and photography assistants, four manual shop helpers, one metal plating and one engraving machine operator, and one salvager, for dismantling experimental models.

In the College dining halls and kitchens, the men have turned over to the other gender jobs of dishwashers, bus boys, salad men, storeroom men, vegetable men, cooks, chef's helper's, bakers, steam table men, and counter men.

In Widener, women messengers now carry the books in from the stacks to the circulation desk. A husky, masculine voice, however, is still needed to yell "closing," at 9:50 o'clock. In the University printing shops, feminines are employed as press feeders and printing plant apprentices.

Even the Network has followed suit, and now has a program that originates in Cabot Hall. All the men needn't fear for their positions, though. They have not started replacing the deans with women yet.