Harvard Asks Institute Extension to Officers

Correspondence Courses to Receive Credit at Colleges

On the heels of its acceptance of work done by enlisted men under the Armed Forces Institute program, Harvard University recommended in its report last week that the program be extended to include officers as well. Harvard has already announced that it will count work in OCS and specialist training schools for a certain amount of credit.

The Armed Forces Institute is open to enlisted personnel of all branches of the armed forces and offers 64 correspondence courses, mostly at secondary school level, directly through its officers at Madison, Wisconsin, and also offers 700 courses at high school and college level through extension divisions of American colleges and universities. A careful check is kept on the student by tests and transcripts of grades are made available to the colleges.

Simultaneously Harvard announced that any man who wished to count basic military training, officer candidate training, work in technician schools for enlisted personnel, and specialist schools for Officers for college credit could do so. This announcement only added another college to the rapidly growing lists of American educational institutions who have taken this step to enable college men in the service to continue their work towards a degree and to allow other men to enter college in an advanced status at the conclusion of the way.