Democrats Picked For 1944 by Poll

Results of a poll taken after discussion of 1944 party elections issues by Government department instructors, showed that the Democrats should stay in office. The meeting was held in the Lowell House Junior Common Room and is the first of a series of current affairs forums sponsored by the Government department.

Roland A. Young '38, instructor of Government, upholding the Democrats, gave Roosevelt a 75 per cent chance of running for a fourth term and based his arguments for the party's re-election on the past record of the President and his administration.

He said that there was no question as to foreign policy, the fullest prosecution of the war being the aim of all, and that the current history of the Democrats on other issues indicated that they would be the party most fit to solve the problems of 1944.

Says FOR is Slipping

On the Republican side Charles S. Cherigton '35, another Government instructor pointed to the present condition in Washington as an indication of Democratic incompetency. He also used this in clarifying his statement that Roosevelt is slipping.

Cherington placed his hope in prospective nominees such as Saltonstall Stagsen, and Willkie. In spite of his present disfavor with certain party elements, Cherington declared that Willike in the logical man for the 1944 nomination.