ARMY CHAPLAINS

Chaplain Wilson

Chaplain (Lt. Colonel) James T. Wilson is the quiet, gentlemanly member of the School Faculty, whose work is outstanding in a group of exceptional instructors. In this he is but running true to form since he is the son of a Methodist clergyman who, though retired, still has charge of a church in Illinois, where Chaplain Wilson was born and reared.

In more ways than mere mental training. Chaplain Wilson's education was a preparation for his work in the Army, having worked his way through Illinois Wesleyan receiving his A.R. in '26. He graduated from North Western in '29 with the B.D. degree. Although but 20 years old, he was appointed a student Pastor and discharged these duties with great credit during his Junior and Senior years at College and the entire term of his Seminary studies. Upon graduation he immediately plunged into the active ministry, holding several Pastorates in Illinois. It was during this period that Chaplain Wilson married. The union has been blessed with two lovely children.

The year 1986 found Chaplain Wilson making application to the Regular Army for appointment as Chaplain. The commission came to him in May of that year with his first assignment at Ft. Sam Houston in Texas as Assistant Division and Post Chaplain. Three years later came his tour of duty at Schofield Barracks. Hawail, as Chaplain of the 22nd Infantry Brigade; Ft. Enstia, Va., as Post Chaplain was the next assignment where he remained until ordered to report to the Chaplain School at Ft. Ron. Harrison as a student in the July class. While there Chaplain Wilson was assigned as Divis

But inside us We wish the waiting all was past!

And--California here we come Boston is the place we're from.

Out beyond the hills of Idaho There'll be a station for a WAVE D. O.

We'll take the Chattanooga choo-choo 'bout a quarter to four, End up with an Admiral who's stationed ashore . . .

The eyes of Texas are upon us all the livelong day, We will settle for the Gulf coast any place along the way.

Still--Georgia, Georgia, no place we find, Milledgeville's the spot Takes Georgia out of mind.

So--dream of the White House You may get a lighthouse And wave to the men on the shore. The future looks pleasant But at present We'd like to know a little more!"

After some numbers had been performed by Ruth Finke, Betty Strachan, Kitty Roumann and Dorethea Camphell, the real piece de resistance of the eveing was brought forth when Captain Me Intosh was persuaded to sing several see chanties. He did, delightfully, and had his audience hanging on his every word through many stanzas, one better then the other. Mrs. McIntosh read an inspiring poem she has written on women in the services. A very happy evening broke up after group singing by all the assembled WAVES.

And so we come to the parting of the ways, It will not be an easy farewell we say to Radcliffe and to Cambridge. We have had a memorable two and a half months which none of us will over forget. We'll be a long time out of the Navy before we forget the girl who slept in the bunk beneath us, or our company commander with the pleasant smile, or the platoon leader who even said "Hup" with a southern accent, or the gal who played all the practical jokes and then had to have her ribs taped up when she played ball just a little too vigorously. We'll long remember the ten-to-eleven hour in the living, room the manufactured senttlebutt-always better than the real thing--the coming home after dates on Saturday nights, the comparing of noies, the trips to the Navy Yard, and all the things we never got to see.

And if this sounds sentimental, pardon an old salt as she sheds a few anticipatory tears