CONANT WILL SPEAK ABOUT PEACE NEEDS

Shapley New President of Sigma Xi Science Society

Delivering his first speech in Cambridge since the Valedictory address at Commencement on January 9, President Conant will speak on "Science and Society in the Post War World," in a meeting which will be open to the public, on April 5 at 8:15 o'clock in Sanders Theatre.

This speech of Conant's was given by him at a dinner in New York where he received the annual award of the New York Academy of Public Education. He was also requested to read it before a meeting of the American Philosophical Society which he attended in Philadelphia.

Received New York Award

The New York award, a medal given for outstanding services to education, was usually made to some prominent leader of New York teaching. Conant is the first out-of-state man in many years to be bestowed with the honor.

This address will be sponsored by the Harvard Chapter of the Sigma Xi Society, a national scientific honor society, which is located in 125 universities and cities and has a 50,000 membership. Also invited to the President's speech will be the Harvard branch of the Phi Beta Society.

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the College Observatory, was elected president of the Sigma Xi society in a recent meeting. Shapley is also president of the American Society of Arts and Sciences.