Guggenheim Award Made

Levin, Weismiller, Edinger, Nabokov Given Fellowships

Four University Faculty members were among the 64 recipients of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowships chosen this year. Annually distributing around $2,500 each in stipends, the Fellowship projects this year concentrate on the civilization of the Americas in particular.

Those receiving Fellowships were: Harry T. Levin '33, Faculty Instructor in English; Edward R. Weismiller, Teaching Fellow in English; Tilly Edinger, Research Associate in Paleontology; and Vladimir Nabokov, Research Fellow in the Museum of Comparative Zoology.

Levin Teaches English 90

Levin, an authority on James Joyce and instructor of English 90, has taken the project: "A study of symbolism in American fiction; with particular reference to Poe, Hawthorne, Melville, and James." He has already written two books, "The Broken Column: A Study of Romantic Hellenism" and "James Joyce: A Critical Introduction."

Weismiller's project, "Creative writing in the field of poetry" will succeed his earlier work in that field which included a volume of verse published in 1936; "The Deer Come Down." Miss Edinger, famous for her articles published in German, French, and English, is a refugee scholar and will discuss the tooth replacement in Amphibia and Reptilia. Nabokov was born in Russia and is a scientist as well as novelist, his most recent novel being "The Real Life of Sebastian Knight."