STATISTICACKLES

A message of greeting to the new class of potential Stat Officers arriving at Soldiers Field today--a message to Class 7-43...from the Stat School Commandant, Major John F. Hefiin, from the Executive Officer, Captain Lyman I. Woodman, from your Physical Training Officer. Lieutenant Carlton Erickson, and from the six cares composing the enlisted staff of the detachment operating this small but significant institution of the AAF Technical Training Command:

We are happy to welcome you to Harvard and to the Statistical School; we are glad to see this eighth contingent of future key Air Force officers, because there is a real need for you in the field when you have completed your training here.

Our is not destined to be a long, intimate acquaintanceship, for your scheduled date of departure is less., than six weeks hence. Nevertheless, we look forward to a congenial and cooperative session with you and hope to see you dig in comfortably and relax this Sunday in preparation for your concentrated tour of duty at the Business School.

You will find the Harvard graduate students here (practically all of them in senior ROTC garb) most friendly and accomodating. You will be invited to join their Student Club and possibly fracas with them in a Harvard smoker later inn the month.

This is not a glorified college frat proposition, nor a Sun Valley rest camp, but we do try to temper a necessarily stringent military schedule with a portion of hospitality and good will--and the Harvard faculty and students contribute much toward making your stay here as enjoyable as possible under the circumstances.

There is real work--interesting work--to be done here and the ultimate assignments for those who make the grade are worth the utmost in endeavor. And not the least proof of this lies in our letters from graduates serving now in many parts of the world.

Class 6-43, which had its graduation last Monday, March, 1st, in Potter Auditorium near Harvard Stadium, was fortunate in having Colonel F. Trubee Davison, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, A-1, from General Arnold's headquarters make the principal address.

Lt. Colonel Harold J. Smith, former CO of the 2nd Statl Control Unit at Spokane, was lecturer, honorary student, and graduation speaker during the previous class, having assisted in the classrooms from time to time during recent weeks. Colonel Smith is a Wellesley, Mass., product and former Assistant District Attorney of Boston. He expects a boat trip at Government expense ere-long, as do a number of the graduates of Class 6-43.

Any student who suspects that a discrepancy may exist in his Service Record or Immunization Register should see the Personnel Sgt. Major early next week to get the matter straightened out right away.

And this announcement brings out the need for introducing the School detachment cadre:

1st Sgt. Eskel Carison, St. Sgt. Donald Peters (Pers. Sgt. Maj.), St. Sgt. Thomas Carlino (Pay Clk.), Sgt. Robert Purser (Supply Sgt.), Cpl. Ernest Foltyn (Pers. Clk.), Cpl. Byron Lamberd (Mail & Chauffer).