MATMEN BOW AT NEW HAVEN

Jay Schaffran's wrestling team journeyed to New Haven over the weekend only to be put down to the mat and to defeat under the strong arms of the determined Eli muscle-men by an 18-13 score. The Jayvees did better for themselves, emerging victorious over the Yales with a 17-13 victory earlier in the afternoon.

Walt Parsons, outstanding 155 pound grappler, won by decision, contributing only three points instead of his usual five to the Crimson end of the score. Jim Reidy, diminutive 121 pounder, used a double bar-lock to give the wrestlers their only fall of the match.

Ted Guild contributed another three points with a decision in the 128 class, while Pete Fuller, a fairly consistent winner throughout the season, managed a draw with Yale Captain Bill Macamber, star of the Elis, in the 165-pound tilt. Two Varsity footballers met in the unlimited class as tackle Stan Durwood was held to the mat by football player Bob Pickett of Yale, as the latter added one more victory to his unbroken string this season.

The Jayvce contest was marked by only one victory by a fall for the victorious Crimson. Bill Twitchell, new Freshman from mat-mad Milton, contributed the five points with a half-nelson, while four other victories by decision gave the team the contest.