FOOTBALL TO BE INFORMAL

Harvard Cancels Schedule, To Play Only Local Colleges

Harvard football next fall will be a far cry from the sport that used to fill the Stadium on a Saturday afternoon, according to announcements last weekend by the H. A. A.

Cancelling the regular schedule which included Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, etc., the change in athletic policy will restrict the Crimson eleven to nothing more than an all-star intra-mural squad that will meet similar outfits from nearby institutions on a very informal basis.

The Reasons

Reasons for the new system include the reduction of the civilian student body to about 1,000 men, mostly sub-draft Freshmen plus a large number of 4-Fs; a determination not to use the railroads at all; and the fact that there will be a one-week vacation, preceded by reading period and exams, coming right in the middle of the season.

Other Eastern colleges have announced that they would keep their regular schedules if possible, using Navy V-12 students to relieve the manpower shortage.

A taste of what informal football will be like was offered last Friday when the Crimson Varsity played Medford High, only other local spring-practicing team.