MIDSHIPMEN

By M. J. Reth

Gentlemen, Be Seated! Now that you're fully recovered from your weekend "rest" after exams, you may want to be set for a relapse. The long awaited decision on the fate of Midshipmen who "fail to achieve the academic standard of this school" will be disclosed today. A five word summary of said decision is "Back to line Midshipman School."

Because of the fact that Midshipmen now in attendance at this school have not completed their basic as line officers, unsuccessful Supply Corps candidates (and may their number be few!) will be transferred to a Naval Reserve Midshipman School. They will enter as Midshipmen and will not be required to repeat the apprentice seaman's indictrination. It is not at present known whether selection of the line school will be left to the men, or how soon they will be required to report. However, they will be given an opportunity to leave this station before May 31, and will have some shore leave before reporting to their new assignments.

News Before 31st

Grades in all courses will be posted on May 31. However, judgement by the Scholarship Committee will have been made on deficient Midshipmen before that date. Each man whose case is so considered will be interviewed. So, it appears that no interview by Friday of next week should be assurance enough to permit a minimum of celebration on Saturday.

The memorandum to be addressed to all Midshipmen states that, because they are not suited to this type of work, second tries at the course here would not seem profitable. Conceding the present urge for immediate active duty afloat, the announcement continues: "However, the Supply Corps now needs, and always will need superior officers, and the only way to achieve this end is to subject its personnel to rigorous and eternal intensive study. That is the purpose of this school. Not every college graduate is cut out for this type of work, and the School is interested only in those who are."

June 1 Commissioning

As previously announced, commissioning exercises will take place on Tuesday, June 1, at 1000, probably in Potter Auditorium. The ceremonies will take about one hour. The present and incoming Midshipmen classes, Business School faculty, and friends and family of the graduating class are invited to attend. Uniform for our class will be dress whites, including gloves, visor caps, and white shoes, so get these incidentals taken care of immediately. Shore leave for new officers will begin at the conclusion of the exercises and will end at 2000 on Sunday, June 13.

Now a few details which seem minor in the light of coming events. A half month's pay as Midshipman, and $150 uniform allowance in cash will be paid to all men receiving commission on the 1st. Application for the additional $100 can be filed as soon as the office sets the minimum requirements for the complete uniform "bag." We hope that bridge coats will be excluded from such a list so that most of us will be able to qualify immediately for the much needed additional allowance. Applications for allotments for insurance and dependents can be made ready for filing on June 1.

New SC Arrivals

One hundred and eighty new Supply Corps Midshipmen will arrive at Soldiers Field on the 28th or 29th, by which time we will have moved to our new quarters. It will be our responsibility, as members of the Senior class, to see that the new men are the roughly indoctrinated, "with-out hazing, and in a gentlemanly manner."

Shore leave after June 14 will be from 1600 to 2000 daily, and weekend travel will be permitted upon application for leave papers. These are the same liberty regulations that apply to the regular Supply Corps officers. Most formations will be retained, along with the now scheduled athletics program. Midshipmen (first class) will be restricted as was our class last term.

Manuals Esteemed

We've been advised to love and care for our manuals, "regs", etc., since they will be our constant companions as long as we are in the service. We suspect more changes will arrive just as we finish making the ones we now have. But that shouldn't bother us, after all the Disbursing course is only telescoped to three-quarters normal time. Boy, was Sherman right, or was he right! And to complicate things a little more, there's another Harvard Naval Review coming up on the 27th.

Starting with the 14th, A. E. Carlson can pick up where he left off with Kay McDonough, the new Belle of Cowle Hall, Cause that's only a "friendship" ring she's wearing. . . . Of course you heard how "Iowa" Mark told Professor Masson that he thought the Finance final was "a very fair exam" . . . As a result of his efforts in recent reports, "Roadster" Golds borough is now known as "The Distinction Kid." . . . And you can call him "Professor" Zellers if you like, because Chuck just got an offer for a post-war instructorship at the University of Youngstown, his alma mamma. Big All-Star baseball game next Tuesday--Midshipmen vs. Supply Corps officers. Come one, come all.

Too bad Seth Grey can't be with us at the Harvard Club blowout a week from next Monday. He's on a month's leave, Preparatory to re-entering as a Midship- man with the new class on June J. That's a tough reason for a vacation, as were the deals Fate handed out to Ken Seitz and George Webb.

May we close this week's Dope with a small prayer?

Now I lay me down to sleep.

Bus and A Manual at my feet.

I pray the Lord, who could arrange it.

To send a Gremlin down to change it.

And when that place of work is done.

Plcase make an ENSIGN out of this son-of-again