Specialist's Corner

By Frank K. Kelly

The slip of excitement caused by the visit of Major General Sherman Miles gradually died away this week, in the gleam of waxed floors and polished brass doorknobs remained in the rooms of Leverett House to meet the color inspections of the company commander.

The members of the unit felt a rush of hapiness when they read the posted bulletin that General Miles had approved of the outfit's progress thus far, and were prepared by the generous appreciation expressed by Capt. Bernard A. Merriam of Company A.

Bid we say Captain? No, it's Major Merriam now. It is not for the men of the command to comment on his production, but it would be difficult to conceal the pleasure with which every soldier under him learned the news.

Papers in the military law examination are returned during the week, and impromptu legal societies arose in every room to discuss the points of military law delivered by the test. At meetings of the platoons, the results were gone over thoroughly by the major and many experiments were settled.

Shoulder patches with the varied insignia of the many branches of the army presented in the AST unit are being collected by First Sgt. Isacowitz, who plans to make a placque of the patches. "We want something that will show the wide range of background from which you come," the sergeant said. "You won't be going back to your old outfits anyway so you won't need the patches."

A list of honor students was posted this week, and the foreign language platoons led with 13 men, followed by the psychology group with 6. All honor students were designated as men assigned to help other students.