Registration--

Including three stragglers

For civilians, registration this time differed from the usual process only in that the laundries and valeterias were not represented; for new V-12ers the big envelopes contained no surprises; but for Eliot and Kirkland residents above Freshman status there were a couple of bombshells: no tutorial and an increased course requirement.

In addition, Navy Sci members received the first definite word as to the length of their Harvard careers. '44 men will stay one more term; '45ers until February, and Sophomores until a year from October.

Since the Navy College Training Program makes no provision for tutorial instruction, V-men will be provided only with men who will have the same functions as Freshman advisers, even men writing theses or preparing for divisionals. There has been no important change in the tutorial plan for civilians.

The Emergency Committee of Deans has change the course requirements for the degree for members of the classes of 1944 and 1945 who had been taking Plan A tutorial before going on active duty. A tutorial before going on active duty. Under the new system, Juniors will be graduated upon completion of 15 1/2 courses, while men with only one term to go will only need 15. Men writing honors theses will be given half-course credit for them.

Minimum Loads

This credit will count in meeting the Navy minimum of four courses per term for men in senior standing, which applies to '45 men with 12 course credits. All other V-12 students must take at least five courses.

While the upperclass members of the V-12 unit will have virtually complete freedom in making out their programs, although there are required courses for them, the men just entering College have completely prescribed curricula.

For future line and supply officers, the program includes English, Historical Background of the Present World War, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering Drawing, and Naval Organization, with all but the last taught by members of the University Faculty. Chemistry, Physics, Math, a modern language, and Naval Organization are all required for pre-medical and pre-dental students.