Coast Guard Triumphs 6-0

Baseball Team Will Play Navy Tomorrow

The second edition of Harvard summer baseball absorbed its first beating of the season Wednesday as a Boston Coast Guard nine shut on Coach Floyd Stahl's charges, 7-0.

It was just a case of Casey at the bat for the Crimson, as Bill Slattery of the sailors effectively shackled the Stahlmen with a neat three-hit performance. By way of consolation, Slattery has given up only seven bingles in his last three times on the mound.

Captain Walt Sorgi, Dick Conlon, and Sherman Clark were the only local batsmen to touch the Coast Guard hurler. Sorgi's hit figured in an abortive attempt at a score in the last of the sixth. After singling to right, he was advanced when Clark walked, but was thrown out at the plate when Jack Gale pounded a ground ball to third baseman Patti. Other than that little flurry, the Crimson never threatened.

The visitors scored once in the second, then jumped on Dick Manville for two more in the fourth, and finished the job with a four-run spree in the eight. Manville and Bill Judge gave up a total of twelve hits between them, while Manville struck out two.

But it was Slattery's ball game all the way. Not a single Crimson batsman touched him until Sorgi's bingle in the sixth, while he eliminated six men on strikes.

Tomorrow's contest with the Boston Naval Receiving Station will begin at 3:45 at Soldiers Field, Coach Stahl has not yet announced his starting pitcher