NTS MEN HEAR REAR ADMIRAL

Speaker Lists Naval Officer Qualities in Graduation Talk

By Ens. ED Lambert

"Of all the qualifications for the life that you are about to take up, I put loyalty first ... loyalty to your senior officers and to your subordinates," Rear Admiral Wat T. Cluverius, U.S.N. (Ret), President of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, declared at the August graduation exercises of the Naval Training School (Communications) held Saturday morning in Sanders Theatre.

Included in the large audience that nearly filled hall were the members of the graduating Class of 3-43, 12 men from Class 4-43 who were leaving for active duty elsewhere, and Class 5-43, as well as friends and families of the graduates.

Among those in the official party which accompanied Rear Admiral Cluverius to the stage were Captain George N. Barker, U.S.N., Commanding Officer of the Harvard Naval Training Schools; William H. Claflin, Jr., treasurer of the University; Lt. Commander M.E. Paradise, U.S.N.R., Officer-in-Charge of the Communications School; Aldrich Durant, Business Manager of the University; Lt. Commander E.W. Sweetland, U.S.N.R., Executive Officer of the school; and Lt. Commander Morgan, U.S.N.R., aide to the admiral.

As second in his list of requisites for a successful Naval career, Rear Admiral Cluverius placed the quality of self control. "If you have self control you will go far," he told the graduates.