Specialists' Corner

By Frank K. Kelly

Nine months ago the first ASTP language group arrived at Harvard, and so naturally we are pregnant with potentialities as we leave next week for parts unknown....

-o-

Our great consolation as we leave is that nothing can happen to us as bad as what happened to the Harvard basketball quintet, which lost to every team it met, including, of course, the Big Blue Team from God's chosen six acres in New Haven.

Wonderful town, Boston. Monuments and landmarks everywhere--Bunker Hill, McBride's, and Sally Keith's tassels. However, even Bunker Hill closes down at 12.

But where else can you find excitement like crossing Harvard Square with the traffic zipping by from six directions at once?

Boston girls are very nice, too. We will miss them, although I couldn't understand why my roommate and I got ditched the other night when we suggested to our dates that we take a cab when they suggested the subway. All I said was "To hell with the expense--we can split it four ways."

Speaking of subways, it's a shame to leave now that we've finally realized that you can go two at a time through the Holyoke Street turnstile.

As a matter of fact, that's how one of our boys met his wife. Her old man heard about it and brought out his shotgun.

It was the only military wedding I've ever seen with mops and brooms instead of crossed sabres.

Things we will miss around Harvard: the "Bang bang bang" of Tom McNoeley of the boxing department ... the unique spectacle of a master sergeant waxing a floor ... "Stand steady!" ... the waterless showers at Dillon Field House ... the sweet aroma de sweat at 85 degrees in the cage--and STILL they ask us to do deep breathing ... lectures and films on the tactical use of the 63 1/2 millimeter anti-balloon carbine (obsolete since 1906) ... trying to read the SERVICE NEWS through a maze of misprints and proof readers' lapses ... all the things we'd like to print but don't dare.