FACULTY PROFILE

Blond-haired, German-born scholar of politics, Carl Joachim Friedrich, professor of Government, was a natural to head the Overseas Administrators' School when it was established last February. Now training military governors who may someday take over the temporary administration of his form-his trainees the benefit of a wide store of trainees the benefit of a wide store of first hand experiences with European governments and people during his youth spent abroad.

Although it is a strict military secret whether any of the men trained as military governors at Harvard have been sent into the field, the school when it opened last September announced that its courses "were to include maximum training in the administration of middle European and Mediterranean areas where occupation would likely take place". With the expressed purpose of the school to concentrate on these areas, it is quite probable that Friedrich's men may now be holding posts in North Africa and Sicily.

Varied Life

Leading a varied life as varied as a French Foreign Legionaire, Professor Friedrich came to America in 1922 thoroughly discouraged with the passive and conservative life at Heidelberg. Joining several other European students on a lecture tour of the United States sponsored by the then powerful Youth Movement, he crossed the continent several times and by that time had learned English and had decided to stay. In 1926 he came to Harvard.

Translating his early love for the soil into a farm in Vermont, he provided his family of six with a home and himself with a couple of new hobbies to go along with his music. Professor Friedrich is an accomplished cellist.

With one of his heifers a state champion, he was just beginning to fancy himself a first class breeder when fire ravaged his farm last summer, killing most of his live stock.

National Figure

His activities have reached into almost all areas of the province of politics, but his outstanding interest before the war was in international student affairs. His frequent appearances on the Chicago Roundtable and his numerous books and lecture tours have made him a national political authority.

No impractical theorist, Friedrich's faith in the common man as the "world citizen of Pan-humanity" comes from first-hand experiences with his fellow citizens. Following the post war inflation, he worked in the coal mines of Holland.

Besides supervising the work of the school here, Friedrich also delivers lectures to the military governors who are quartered in Leverett and Claverly. The faculty of the school is mostly comprised of regular University officials but special courses, the nature of which is secret, are being given. The school here was one of the first of its type in the country.