HARVARD STUDENT DISCOVERS DEAD LIEUTENANT IN CHARLES

Taylor Hess Finds Body of Army Man Afloat in River

The body of a dead Army officer was discovered yesterday in the Charles River by G. Taylor Hess '47, of Adams House, the Metropolitan Police announced last night. It is believed that this officer may have been the one reported missing since November 17.

Hess described the corpse as a Lieutenant of medium height, wearing the short overcoat. The cause of his death is not yet definitely established, but drowning seems probable. However, the bloody condition of the face indicated possible violence. A Second Lieutenant, 33 years old, was reported missing here on November 17, and the police believe it may be his body, but the Army has as yet issued no confirmation of this.

Definite discovery of the body was made yesterday at about 3:30 o'clock, but Hess noticed it floating upright across from Weld Boat House Sunday afternoon. He did not pay much attention to it at the time, believing it to be a dummy of some sort, but returned yesterday to investigate. Three Army men assisted him in dragging the corpse from the water, and then reported it to the Metropolitan Police, who notified the proper Army authorities.

From the condition of the body it was estimated that it had been floating there for several days. Although the hands were dead white, the calves of the legs were of a pinkish color. It had identification, but the Army has not issued an official report of its identity.

The original discovery of the body on Sunday was entirely accidental. Hess went down to investigate several danger signs afloat out 20 or 30 feet in the water, and noticed what appeared to be the head of a dummy floating there. Further consideration aroused his curiosity and caused him to return yesterday. Evidently the corpse remained undiscovered because of its unobtrusive position submerged in the water about ten yards from shore.