NTS Graduates 371 Communications Men

Twenty Honored for Outstanding Service

Addressing the 371 members of the graduating classes of 7-43 and 8-43 last Friday, Commander M.E. Paradise, officer-in-charge of the Naval Training School (Communications), said that 1944 would probably be the most active the United States Navy had ever experienced. Also at the graduation, 20 men were honored for outstanding work.

All communications officers will play an important role in this activity, Commander Paradise told the graduates, and while he assured them they had every right to leave the school with confidence in their ability, they must stress security as their watchword.

Commander Paradise addressed a graduating class for the first time in his new status of commander, having been advanced to that rank from lieutenant commander effective December 30.

"You will make mistakes in your first few weeks of duty," Commander Paradise said, "but be sure your mistakes are the result of action rather than inaction."

The graduating officers were urged to report back as soon as possible on how their training conformed to the actual seeds of the fleet and to pull no punches in any criticisms they might have of the training program.

The 20 members of the class who were honored were selected on the basis of their academic standing, military aptitude, and physical fitness improvement.

Those who received official Letters of Commendation are as follows: Ensigns A.W. Bornfriend, Robert L. Callahan, John D. Gust, Lewis H. Levy, Harry A. Livermore, Claude E. Love, Gordon E. Marks, Virden M. Mitchell, J. Stanley Nants, Benjamin M. Stephens, John R. Taylor, James H. Templin, William P. Trenkle, Don A. Turner, Frederick C. Turner, Lieutenants (jg) Carl A. Fischer, James W. Fowle, Charles E. Van Voorhis, Lieutenant James J. Flynn.

Also present on the speakers' platform and assisting in the ceremonies were Lieutenant Commander C.F. Brengartner, head of the communications school academic department, and Lieutenant (jg) H.M. Hansen, aide to the executive officer.