Soccermen to Play Milton, Medford as Season Opens

Veterans Add Power To Crimson Squad

Reporting an unusually strong turnout for this term's soccer team, head coach Jim McDonald stated yesterday that his new Freshman booters possess more class and experience than usual and that several former collegiate regulars discharged from the armed forces will strengthen the squad for the coming matches.

Despite freezing weather, McDonald has been whipping the squad into shape during the past week for games today with Milton Academy at Milton, tomorrow against Medford High, and Wednesday against a powerful Brown outfit. While the squad will be split evenly into two teams for the Milton and Medford games, the more polished and experienced players from both teams will be combined for the important match with Brown.

Butcher Returns

Conspicuous for his absence during practice sessions last week was Roy Heisler, speedy forward, who had been the spear-head of the Crimson, attack before leaving for the Army at the close of last term. Coach McDonald thinks, though, that Bill Butcher, a newcomer, will be able to take Heisler's place and supply a much-needed offensive punch. Butcher, a medically discharged veteran of the second World War, was an outstanding halfback for Harvard before joining the army in 1942.

Other newcomers who have played well in early practice drills are fullback Dave Dean, V-12 transfer from the University of Pennsylvania, and Carlos Blanc, Freshman from Ohio.