CONANT URGES TRUCE IN WAR OF EDUCATORS

Cooperation Lacking Among Colleges, Secondary Schools

In an address Wednesday evening, President Conant urged that the war between the nation's colleges and secondary schools be brought to an end to "give assurance of American leadership in the march of civilization in the years to come." The statement was made in New York at the fiftieth anniversary convocation of Teachers College, Columbia University.

President Conant declared that the colleges' antiquated requirements for admission have been accused of balking all progressive movements in secondary school education. In answering these charges, the colleges have accused high schools of failing to give their students sufficient preparation for college and university work.

Outlines Educational Program

Calling for a truce among America's educators, President Conant outlined a program strongly recommending the education of all the nation's youth. Steps should be taken to discover students who, for the good of the country as a whole, deserve to be given college training. However, the schools must also re-investigate the problems of educating those young people who would not benefit from a college education. Only by such a fuller understanding of the role of the future citizens can the real ends of education be reached.

A greater degree of attention, said President Conant, must be paid to the individual student and his personal abilities. An effort should be made to uncover and develop any special talents that may exist. Programs designed to stimulate a student's intellectual curiosity should be given an important place in secondary education.

In making these sweeping recommendations and accusations, Harvard's president made it plain that he did not feel that the nation's school system had been totally ineffective: "We have today in action on many fronts," said President Conant, "millions of young men who are graduates of our public high schools. They developed in their schooling the quality most necessary in modern times--an ability to change the aim as the target moves.

"If one asks what the schools of this country have accomplished in the last fifty years, one need only refer for answer to the American Army and Navy in these days of triumphant battle.