Don Forte, 1942 Grid Star, Back from Atlantic Action

Ex-Football Captain Predicts Long War

"Although I believe that until the returning veterans are taken care of, Courses will continue to be accelerated, I think maybe in five years or so Harvard will be back to the old set-up just like before the war."

These are the words of Lieutenant (j.g.) Don Forte, 1942 Crimson football captain and star end, recently back from the European theatre of war. Tall and slim, in navy blue, black-haired, with smouldering pipe in hand, he is quiet and serious, though still as rugged as when he was leading the Crimson to victory under Dick Harlow.

Served on Flagship

Commissioned upon graduation from the Harvard NROTC in May, 1943, he had but two weeks leave before reporting for active duty. "After I first reported aboard we operated with the British Home Fleet for a number of months. More lately we participated in the invasions off Normandy and Southern France, We've usually had a flag aboard so haven't had as many thrills as some of the other ships."

Of this year's Crimson eleven, the 1942 captain says, "I've seen then play a couple of times this fall and they're a well-coached team with a lot of spirit; may be not as polished as some of the older, heavier, Harlow-coached teams. Of course in the Bates game they had things pretty much their own way so you can't really tell. I'd like to have seen that PT game."

Don says the Army-Navy classic coming up soon is the chief topic of conversation among the serviceman now that the election is over, and as far as he can see it's a toss-up. "Navy has lost a couple of tough ones this fall. But I think Army's Earl Blaik is the better coach."

When asked if he found that athletic training in secondary schools and colleges helps any when in action. "Yes, I think the idea of everyone pulling together holds true in war. Most of the big generals and admirals are sports minded, MacArthur, Halsey and the others." Commenting on short-wave broadcasts of important athletic events. Don said, "I can't remember ever hearing one. The only way men on board ship get spirts dope is in the morning when the wireless operation pick up news and type it out. Of course you might have a few radios on some ships."

Expects Long War

The handsome ex-captain of the Crimson thinks the war in Europe won't be over until next Summer unless Germany cracks from the inside. "I guess the Germans will fight to the last man." As for Japan, Don shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know much about it but if Leyte is any indication of the future, don't you think it's going to take a long, long, time?"

Lieutenant Forte, who served on the heavy cruiser Augusta, is confident that we will not make the same mistake of scrapping American naval might after this war. "In peacetime you don't need as many men as in war; In fact you could probably slice off almost three quarters of your officers now needed to man all battle stations."

Don is married how and has two babies, and like most servicemen, he is tired of being away from home, planning to settle down after the war and not stray more than a few miles away. Of the war and his battle experiences off Normandy and Toulons, he says simply, "It's been interesting but not half as much fun as being homes."