Entering Freshmen Swell Enrollment In College to 863

Registration Swings Up for First Time in Seven Terms

Harvard University's war enrollment appeared to be over the hump last night as the Faculty of Arts and Sciences announced the first jump in registration since the start of the war. Some 863 civilian students have signed up for the winter term, compared with 753 for the summer term.

Returning veterans and 15-year-old youngsters were included in the new enrollment as 536 Class of '48 (173 newcomers) registered in the two day ordeal. This compares with 414 Freshmen last term and with 68 Seniors, 121 Juniors, 115 Sophomores, and 23 out of course for this trimester.

Enrollment in the University has been boosted almost 600, as the Law School alone jumped from 45 to 155, compared with a peacetime enrollment of 866. V-12ers number almost 750, and other services have left approximately 4250 in the various Army and Navy Schools.

The new Freshmen and a few returning undergraduates have been placed in Standish Hall, where newcomers formerly lived in the days before the use of the Yard halls. The other resident students are in Adams and Lowell Houses, many returning to haunts left behind them for several years.

Wholesale rearrangements of rooms in civilian and V-12 Houses tell most of the story of the turmoil caused by the new registration, and the harrassed look on the House Secretaries completes the tale.