Wartime Enrollment Sees Gain in Visiting Students

Ratio of Foreigners Increases Six-Fold

Showing a marked increase over their numbers of former years, foreign students now comprise 12.3 percent of Harvard wartime civilian enrollment. Averages for the years immediately preceding the war show that the College's normal proportion of undergraduates from places outside continental United States hovers about 2.5 percent.

Of Harvard's peacetime student body, approximately 200 each year were foreigners. A record of 243 in a reduced wartime enrollment of only 1,970 represents a considerable shift in the ratio.

Leading numerically among the foreigners are 77 representatives from Latin American nations, while the 73-man delegation from European countries, including citizens of Great Britain and Iceland, is outnumbered only by the South Americans. China follows with 59, the largest number from any single country, while various other Asiatic nations contribute 13 more. Canada and other British territories in this hemisphere have 19 and Africa stands at the bottom of the list with two.

Greatest increases over peacetime totals are to be found among China and the republics of South America. Argentina outnumbers the other Latin American delegations with 11. Colombia, Chile, Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, Peru, and Guatemala follow as the list trails off to three students each from Panama and Urugday, two from Bolivia and Ecuador and an aggregate of nine from five islands of the West Indies.