MOVIEGOER

At Loew's State and Orpheum It's Still the Same Old Story

"They didn't have halos, they didn't have wings, but what they didn't have, they didn't need," and the Angel sisters from Glenby Falls didn't have plenty of what they didn't need. Paramount, however, had Betty Hutton, Dorothy Lamour, Diana Lynn, and Mimi Chandler.

Making a troupe slightly reminiscent of the Andrews Sisters but looking the way the Sistors A must have always wanted to look-the girls sing and swing through one of the fastest moving and zaniest comedies we've seen for quite some time. Betty Hutton does herself up brown by way of making new endurance records-90 minutes without standing still-and by doing an effective drunk scene that made us head for the nearest bar as soon as the show was finished. Dorothy Lamour looks a little strange in pinafores, after sarong in sarongs, but she is able to fill a pinafore and her part quite adequately. Not to be outdone by Miss Hutton, she takes a reasonably well directed stab at a drunk scene and gets thoroughly stinking playing Hungarian dancing games.

Seen awhile back as the brattish younger sister in "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," Diana Lynn has been doing leg exercises, and turns up very well as a not-so-brutish younger sister who can rally sing and play the piano. The girl ought to go far. Mimi Chandler seems to have been inserted solely to differentiate the Angels four from the many feminine tri-vocal ensembles. No other reason is apparent.

And then there is Fred MacMurray playing sax, craps, and around. Maybe we've been seeing too much of him lately, for, in spite of the fact that he seems natural, we would rather have seen a new face.

Good entertainment based on an old style, "And the Angels Sing" left us satisfied. The photography was good and contained some very effective background blackout shots which brightened up the whole show; all this in contrast to the "Secrets of Scotland Yard," the added attraction, which kills off the only good actor, C. Aubrey Smith, in the first reel, thereby losing all chance of becoming anything more than the Grade C picture it was intended to be. rkh