University Professors Win Planning Award

Proposal Asks Union For Greater Boston

Far-reaching revisions in the permanent municipal structure of Greater Boston are the dominant feature of the "Boston Plan," which won a $5,000 first prize Wednesday night for five members of the Harvard faculty and a colleague from Boston.

Included among the successful city planners are Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government, Charles R. Cherington'35, instructor in Government, Walter F. Begner, associate professor of Architecture, Seymour E. Harris '20, associate professor of Economics, Talcott Parsons, professor of Sociology, and George R. Walker '18, of Boston.

Metropolitan Authority Proposed

A federation of 66 cities and towns of the Greater Boston area in a Metropolitan Authority stands out among the many sweeping proposals of the prize-winning plan. This group would take over the functions now exercised by many diverse local and municipal departments, and "would actively concern itself with industrial and commercial development, as well as the control and direction of transit."

Twelve to 15 new express highways, radiating from downtown Boston, are among the professors' suggestions for improving upon Boston's limited accessibility by automobile. They place increasing emphasis on more and better highways as the key to the Hub's transportation difficulties, making no additions to the city's repaid transit system.

Many other phases of urban planning are covered in the far-reaching plan, including an extensive new park development, a re-designing of the market district, and extensive reforms in municipal taxation.