NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSE TURNS TO HARVARD FOR BOY LEADERS

Headworker Pleads for Aid in Halting Delinquency Rise

Our children are running wild and we have no way of checking them except by proper leadership. Delinquency is on the upgrade and we must stop it. To do this we need your help." This is an excerpt from the text of a letter received at Phillips Brooks House yesterday. It was signed by Miss Catherine Orr, headworker at the Trinity Neighborhood House.

This settlement house is located in the center of a Boston slum area. Children is this area are confronted with a simple choice. There are two places about which they can center their activities. One place is the street, the other is Trinity House. At present, Trinity House is losing to the street.

There is a good reason for this state of affairs. Trinity House has the facilities to provide for the children, of the neighborhood. Before the war it provided for them quite well. Since the war many of its leaders have joined the armed services and the people left behind are either not strong enough to command respect in the eyes of their young charges or too busy doing war work to have time. The street provides more excitement, more thrills. The House must go afield for its leadership.

It has come to Harvard College. Harvard College is supposedly a center for the training of the social leaders of the future. It has been asked to provide a few social leaders for the present. Harvard has the material to do this, both amongst its civilian and service personnel. It is for Harvard to show whether it is willing to do this. Will all those interested please contact Max Petschek '47, of Adams House, or Miss Orr at Trinity House, East Meridian Street.