The Lucky Bag

Navy Supply Corps Midshipmen Officers School

CONGRATULATIONS to you 180 newly commissioned Midshipmen of the 4th class! To you go our stores of sympathy and advice during this adjustment period while your cars are not yet accustomed to Hanson's fortissimo, nor your stomachs to Cowie's food. To convince you your future is not quite so dark as our billets since the lamps were given to you, we offer the following advice, now immortal; "Don't worry, boys, don't worry." And that is sound advice, as sound when Dean Smith first gives it to you as it will be on the day you be bilged. You'll get used to soft-boiled eggs, to Standard "Erl", to low passes and peanut wagons, to "arrears" of figures, Morgan 3, and Boston lasses; after all, it's only four months till the wife and the stripe.

It's encouraging to see Kilgore hit the mess line with his own supply of ketchup. Now all he needs is some meat now and then to go under it. . . . Speaking of meat, a salute to Lt. Beckham and his ration story. Wish we could convince the "Missus" her 50-50 proposition is dampening the highlights of our disbursing course.

The mystery of the week--who was the prowler in the ship's store? Not until the operator had turned in several complaints about the Midshipman who persisted in coming behind the counter; not until she recognized a painting of "The Old Man" in Baker Library; not until then, was the mystery solved.

A special call to any and all Midshipmen, and oldsters, interested in the Glee Club, was sent out this week. Your moral as well as vocal support is needed at Potter Auditorium, Tuesday and Wednesday from 1830-1930.