H.A.A. EXTENDS SPRING SPORTS

Track, Lacrosse and Tennis Informals Plan for Spring

College athletes will wear the Crimson in informal intercollegiate competition in four sports this spring, with Brown, Tufts, Worcester Tech, Andover, and Exeter headlining the tentative schedules announced last night by the Harvard Athletic Association.

In addition to the previously announced baseball, Harvard will field teams in lacrosse, tennis, and track during the warm weather months. Practice has already started in lacrosse, and the arrival of stable weather will bring the netmen and runners out to Soldiers Field.

Because of the fact that the Navy V-12 Unit has refused to authorize cuts of college classes for undergraduate sailors, the teams will be largely limited to a 50-mile travel radius, and Brown and Worcester probably represent the south-

ern and western limits of the teams.

The lacrosse team, which is now meeting three times a week at Briggs Cage, has negotiated for three matches thus far, with a home-and-home series with Tufts for May 20 and June 3 featuring the program. The remaining game is scheduled at Exeter for May 13.

Although much is on the H. A. A. fire for the track team, only three meets, with Andover away on April 29, Exeter away on May 13 and Tufts here on May 27, have as yet been announced.

Most limited in its schedule possibilities is the tennis team, which as yet has only scheduled a match at Andover on May 27. Because the season between good tennis weather and the reading period only runs a bit over a month, a short schedule is required. Rumors have been heard at the H. A. A. of five men with USLTA ratings in the civilian Houses.

Intramural crew will be held during the spring, and Bert Haines hopes to get the rowers on the river within the next few weeks. A regatta on the Charles with the M. I. T. as the main opponent is another hope of the H. A. A. for this term.

Arrangements are being made with Worcester for matches in tennis and lacrosse, and service teams are being sounded out to fill in the comparatively empty schedules of all four sports. Because of laboratory work, the traditional Wednesday dates will generally be abandoned in favor of Saturday contests