Levin, Edinger on Guggenheim List

Two representatives of Harvard were included in the appointments to John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowships announced recently. Harry T. Levin, lately appointed Associate Professor of English, is making a study of the technique of symbolism in American fiction, with particular reference to Poe; Hawthorne, Melville, and Henry James. Miss Tilly Edinger, Research Associate in Paleontology in Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology, is studying the development of teeth in the evolutionary line leading from ancestral fishes to mammals.

Levin, who graduated from Harvard in 1933, was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1943 and will continue his research under the new grant. He was awarded the Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellowship for work in Europe after graduation, and was a member of the Society of Fellows at Harvard from 1937 to 1939. Levin is the author of two books, "The Broken Column: A Study of Romantic Hellenism" and "James Joyce: A Critical Introduction," and of many articles.

Miss Edinger, too, is receiving her second Guggenheim Fellowship. A distinguished refugee scholar from Germany, she was educated at the University of Heidelberg, Munich, and Frankfort, and has been a research associate at the Museum of Comparative Zoology since 1944. Her contributions to scholarly journals published in German, French, and English, are numerous.