Howard Mumford Jones Is New Learned Group Head

College Professors Elected to Academy

At a meeting held Wednesday evening, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the second oldest learned society in America, announced the election of Howard Mumford Jones, professor of English and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, to its presidency.

Other members of the Harvard Faculty who were elected to the general membership of the Academy include: Maxwell Finland '22, assistant professor of Medicine; Carl J. Friodrich, professor of Government and Director of the School for Overseas Administration; Paul R. Gast, assistant professor of Forestry; Walter Gropius; professor of Architecture;

Ronald W. P. King, associate professor of Physics; Cylde K. M. Kluckhohn, associate professor of Anthropology; Eugene M. Landis, George Higginson Professor of Physiology; Saunders MacLane, associate professor of Mathematics; Richard M. E. von Mises, lecturer on Aerodynamics;

Hugh M. Raup, assistant professor of Plant Ecology; Karl Terzaghi, lecturer on Soil Mechanics; Karl Victor, professor of German Literature; and Edgar B. Wilson, Jr., associate professor Chemistry.

Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14 was also among those elected to honorary membership in the Academy.