ALLPORT URGES REHABILITATION

Calls for Commitments Now To Avert Post-War Isolation

Asserting that it was "nightmare to see how closely the present Congressional attitude towards our foreign policy resembles that of the last war," Gordon W. Allport, professor of Psychology, addressed 50 members of the Harvard Liberal Union, the Radcliffe League for Democracy, and the Post War Councils Wednesday night in the fourth of a series of five forums.

"What happens this year in respect to our foreign policy," he said, "will determine our post-war policy completely. The nation at the present time in divided into the bitter camps of neo-isolationism and interventionism. The latter group is now the most potent group, comprising 75 percent to 80 percent of the people is all sections of the country.

"The people are ahead of Congress, which is now impeding any clear post-war commitment," he continued. "Now is the precise time when we should make these commitments to bind us in advance of a stampede of reaction which will be certain to follow the war. If the war should drag on for any considerable length of time, and its lessons forgotten, statutory declarations now will make the wave of reaction less intense."

Mentioning the danger of the rise of fascism even in this country because of the lack of "logical positivism" of former generations, Allport compared that potentiality to the rise of spiritualism. The next and last forum of this "America's Transition to Peace" series is scheduled for Thursday, when Merle Fainsod, professor of Government, and Professor E. Merrick Dodd of the Law School will speak on "Political Aspects of Reconstruction" at 8 o'clock in the Lowell House Junior Common Room.