QUONSET SUBDUES VARSITY NINE, 4-2

LOSS CAUSED BY 4 UNEARNED RUNS

Four unearned runs poured over the plate for the Quonset Naval Air Station Saturday as Jack Wallace stood on the mound watching a beautifully pitched ball game degenerate into a 4-2 Harvard defeat. Two runs in the ninth on a walk, an error, an infield single, and a fly ball capped the disaster.

The game was a pitcher's battle, with Wallace holding the sailors to six hits and the visitors' hurler, Simmons, keeping the Crimson to five hits before he was removed for a pinch-hitter in the top half of the eighth inning.

Quonset opened the scoring in the second with two men out, when left fielder Siegfried singled to right field. Priebe then grounded to Jack Falsey, Crimson shortstop, who bobbled the ball and threw to first basemen "Slats" Slattery. Slattery dropped the ball, and the man was safe. Bill Lutz, presuming Priebe out, left third base and Siegfried came roaring around to score while Slattery and second baseman Bob Chapple ran down Priebe.

Fifth Inning Rally

Harvard came back to go ahead in the fifth when George Boston, center fielder at the clean-up position, singled to left, and Lutz followed with a single to right. Art Conlon then advanced them and Jack Falsey sent them both home with a bingle to deep right field.

Wallace and Simons then both clamped down, and the game lost interest until, with two out in the top half of the eighth, Quonset sent Lawson in to pinch-hit for Simons. Lawson bounced a fluke single high over Wallace's head, and then Bart doubled into left field, Lawson going to third. When the ball was thrown in to Lutz, he wheeled and relayed the ball in the general direction of second base trying to catch Bart. The throw was wild, and the runner scored.

In the ninth, the first Quonset man walked, and the next attempted to sacrifice. The bunt went to Wallace, who tried to get the man at second. The throw was wild and both runners were safe. Another attempted sacrifice was missed completely by Wallace and went for an infield single, loading the bases. A play at first and a long fly scored two runs for the Navy men, sewing up the ball game.

Summary of the game:

HARVARDAB  R  HClark, l.f.  4  0  2Slattery, 1b.  4  0  0Chapple, 2b.  4  0  0Boston, c.f.  4  1  1Lutz, 3b.  3  1  1Harding, c.  3  0  0Conlon, r.f.  3  0  0Falsey, s.s.  3  0  1Wallace, p.  3  0  0QUONSET NAVAL AIR STATIONAB  R  HBart, r.f.  4  0  1Snaughnessy, 2b.  4  0  0Spennrath, 1b.  3  1  1Shaeffer, c.  4  1  0Warner, c.f.  3  0  1Siegfried, l.f.  4  1  1Priebe, s.s.  4  0  0Pollins, 2b.  4  0  0Simons, p.  2  0  1Lawson  1  1  1Coker  0  0  0Rabczak  0  0