NETMEN LOSE TO DEERFIELD SCHOOL

Drop Third Match in Row; Play at Andover Tomorrow

A sub-strength Harvard tennis team plunged its record deeper into the red ink on Wednesday by dropping a match to Deerfield's schoolboys, 5 o 4. Coach Richard M. Dorson's courtmen had previously lost to M. I. T., Harvard-graduates, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Splitting the singles, Deerfield won the first three and Harvard's numbers four, five, and six men triumphed. Gene Sands, Harvard's number one singles man, lost to Bill Smith, of Deerfield, 6-3, 6-4. Smith holds a National Junior Ranking. In the number two spot, Ed Slater lost to Dean Mathey, 6-0, 6-1, and Frank Rinaldi, number three, lost to Don Mathey, 6-0, 6-2. Number four man Don Willner defeated Bruce Baine, of Deerfield, 8-6, 6-3; Bill Mayleas, number five, beat Dick Lamb, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2; and Fred Holpon toppled Deerfield's 75-pound Gordon Amar, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.

In the doubles, Harvard lost two and won one. Sands and Bob Fineberg lost won one. Sands and Bob Fineberg lost 6-3, 6-2, to the Mathey, brothers, who are inter-scholastic doubles champions and whose father, Dean Mathey, was once national doubles champion. Rinaldi and that his netmen would do better at Andover tomorrow.

Dissatisfied with the alibi that Raile, Ross, and Moulton of the NROTC, and Jock Lynch of the V-12, were unable to play, Coach Dorson was disappointed with the showing and expressed the hope that his netmen would do better against Andover, at Andover, tomorrow.