VARSITY COACH FLOYD STAHL SEES BIG YEAR FOR BASEBALL

One-Time Ohio State Coach Came Here in Fall of 1938

When Dartmouth College lured Earl Brown, former basketball coach and assistant football coach at Harvard, up to Hanover, they thought that they had obtained the man behind Crimson athletics. Actually, however, they might have come closer to their goal if they had gone after our versatile Floyd Stahl, who is, among other things, coach of the Varsity baseball team.

Coach Stahl first came to Harvard in the fall of 1938, after having coached baseball and basketball at Ohio State University for eight years before that. In addition to being head-coach of the baseball team here, he also coached last year's Varsity basketball team, and was backfield coach of the football team.

Baseball, however, is his first love; he played college ball at the University of Illions and has been coaching baseball teams ever since. In addition to these coaching duties, he is now in charge of the athletic program for Company B of the ASTP unit here, a full-time job in itself. Apart from his activities at School, Coach Stahl enjoys handball, skating, and fishing. He is also partial to an occasional game of golf, he confides.

Coach Stahl appeared optimistic about the prospects for this season, in spite of the loss to Quonset in the first game. The team is admittedly rather young and green, but, by and large, it is possessed of a reasonable amount of ability, although in sports we are a little short on reserves, he said. The defense is fair, he added, and the pitching, sparked by Jack Wallace, is promising, though largely inexperienced. Hitting, however, has been rather weak so far; that is his biggest worry to date. The weather has wreaked havoc with his practice sessions, but otherwise he believes the team has been coming along pretty well.

Chief "Crash" Davis, second in command of the Navy athletics program here, and formerly a star athlete at Duke University and a member of the Philadelphia Athletics, has been helping Coach Stahl with the team this year.