Class of 1948 to Register Today

AROUND 425 NEW FRESHMEN PUT CIVILIAN TOTAL AT 750

Approximately 425 new civilian Freshmen, the first group of the Class of 1948, will sign their names a few dozen times in Memorial Hall this morning to register for the Summer trimester. When 350 upperclassmen register on Monday, the civilian personnel of Harvard at war will be around 775, a rise over the 677 who were here during the spring term. Before the war, a total of 3500 men were studying at the College.

It is estimated that 20 per cent of the new Freshmen are under 17 years old, and that less than 15 per cent are over 18. In peacetime the average entering age was 18 years and two months, but the war has driven the median down to a point slightly below 17 years, five months. Between two and three per cent of today's registrants will probably be 15 year olds.

In addition to the new civilians, about 265 new V-12 men, both Freshmen and upperclassmen from other colleges and from the fleet, will log into Eliot House today and Saturday.

SUPPLEMENTARY CALENDAR OF INTRODUCTORY MEETINGS FOR INCOMING CIVILIAN FRESHMEN

(See "Studies in Freshman Year" pp 5-9 for other announcements)

7:30 p.m., Friday, June 30 Lowell House Dining Room. Reception for incoming civilian Freshmen. Speakers: Dean W. L. Sperry, Dean P. H. Buck, Dr. R. M. Gummere. Dean Leighton will preside.

9:00 a.m., Saturday, July 1 New Lecture Hall Speakers: Dean A. C. Hanford, Mr. K. D. Metcalf, and Dean D. Leighton.

3:30 p.m., Sunday Phillips Brooks House. Open House for 1948. Movies will be shown.

9:00 a.m., Monday, July 3 New Lecture Hall. Speakers: Dr. A. V. Bock, Mr. A. W. Samborski, and several of the athletic coaches.

7:00 p.m., Monday, July 3 Sever 11. Tryouts for Harvard Glee Club.

7:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 5 Phillips Brooks House. Activities Meeting. Representatives of undergraduate organizations will speak.

7:30 p.m., Thursday, July 6 Phillips Brooks House. Open House for all foreign students.

3:30 p.m., Sunday, July 9 Phillips Brooks House Harvard-Radcliffe Tea