JAZZ, ETC.

The proposed reopening of the Copley Square's Hop Scotch Room hit more than the usual number of technical hurdles and so the public debut of Charlie Vinal's Rhythm Kings goes by the boards. The great disappointment is that apparently the band was assured of success. One hundred and forty-six reservations had been made for the first Saturday night by Harvard servicemen alone, with the ASTP and V-12 responsible for the greater part of this surprising figure.

What will happen to New England's only dixieland jazz band remains in doubt. The members of the band and its backers feel the cancellation keenly, but the departure of two of the sponsors is definitely scheduled for three weeks hence, and so the future of a "strictly jazz" night club in Boston seems grim.

To find another place--either union or non-union--will take searching and finagling which no one seems to have the time to do. The special conditions of a free hand in policy, suitable acoustics, size, and accessibility, are factors to consider, and since the musicians are gentlemen they refuse to work in any place that remotely resembles a joint. However, anyone who can come forward with a place will definitely be doing Harvard servicemen and Boston jazz fans a favor.

At least, a few people got to hear the Charlie Vinal Rhythm Kings last Sunday, and in its augmented form including trombonist. George Lugg, who was to join the band eventually. Before returning to New York on the N.H.R.R.'s midnight Owl, Lugg went out to Charlie Vinal's that night and recorded eight sides with Charlie, Johnny Windhurst, Ev Schwarz, and Jack Hart. Of course, these records will not be released, although if it weren't for wartime conditions (including my own status) I'd be inclined to issue the four best sides privately. The most successful efforts were "Squeeze Me" and "Tin Roof Blues," both in medium tempo.