HOUSES BEGIN BLOOD DRIVES SUCCESSFULLY

PBH Candidates Take Part In Settlement House Work

Drives for blood donors have begun in both of the civilian Houses, and Phillips Brooks House representatives are organizing all-inclusive soliciting campaigns for men 18 and over.

According to Daniel C. Cohen '47 of Adams House, the Gold Coasters' project has run for two weeks already, and four students have already given plasma. Nine candidates for PBH are calling on the 110 18-year-olds in the House, one assigned to each entry.

Lowell House director William Sprout '47 is beginning the drive for the Bellboys with a staff of eight PBH candidates to assist him. Sprout has a list of 70 Lowell men who volunteered to give blood at registration time, and these will be called on within the next two weeks.

PBH Makes Appointments

PBH makes appointments for the volunteers at the plasma center at 485 Boylston Street. Donors under 21 need the signature of one parent. As a special incentive for the blood drive, one athletic credit will be awarded for each pint of blood.

The Social Service Branch of Brooks House is also busy, and 17 candidates are engaged in social work. Six volunteers are leading and chaperoning evening dance groups, ten are directing athletics in playgrounds, and one works with the Roxbury Boys' Club in Boston. They will automatically become members after ten hours of work.

Family Groups Studied

At a meeting last Thursday night, the Social Service Committee decided to begin a study to find how the Harvard student can help save "disintegrating family groups" broken up by the war. The study is connected with the practical activities of the committee and will draw on the experience which the members acquire in their social work.