Eleven Ready for Tufts Contest As '44 Season Gets Under Way

Crimson Underdogs To Heavier Jumbos

Coach Henry Lamar's 1944 gridmen will face a favored Tufts eleven in the first contest of the new season, tomorrow afternoon at Soldiers Field. Game time will be 3 o'clock.

As was the case in last year's informal Harvard-Tufts meeting, the encounter will be preceded by a parade of the Naval units from both schools. In the 1943 game, the Cantabs were defeated 13 to 7, by virtue of a last period Jumbo tally.

Outweighed as a team by six pounds per man, the Crimson are faced by an eleven that contains several former college stars. Brad Winans, ex-Dartmouth lineman, holds down the blocking back post for the Tuftsmen, and all of the other positions are held by men who have never before appeared in a starting lineup for the Jumbos.

Feldman Star

Doing most of the running for the visitors will be George Feldman, who packs the deception in the Tufts attack, in addition to throwing the aerials. Billy Irwin, fullback, does the plunging, and Bill Kearns handles the punting. On the line it is ends Bill Rohrs and John McClain and left tackle Guy Owen who stand out.

Paul Garrity will start at the fullback spot for the Crimson, Coach Lamar announced yesterday. The experienced ball-toter is one of two changes, the other being Jim Brown at center.

The lineup: HARVARD  TUFTS Geeson, l.e.  r.e., McClain Thurman, l.t.  r.t., Kirkpatrick Mroz, l.g.  r.g., McGabe Brown, c.  c., Rautenberg Davis, r.g.  l.g., Graham Pierce, r.t.  l.t., Owens Perkins, r.e.  l.e., Rohrs Trumbull, q.b.  q.b., Winans Navin, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Kearns Jenkins, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Feldman Garrity, f.b.  f.b., Irwin