Carl J. Friedrich Heads New Unit

Civil Affairs School to Study Far Eastern Administration

After completing six weeks of study at the School of Military Government in Charlottesville, Virginia, approximately 80 Army and Navy officers have moved to the Civil Affairs Training School at Harvard to begin a new curriculum concerning the governmental and linguistic problems of certain Far Eastern areas.

Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government and Director of the School for Overseas Administration, of which the new course is a part, will head the school. The course will last six months, with headquarters located in the Germanic Museum. Assisting Professor Friedrich as Deputy and Associate Directors of CATS are Morle Fainsod, associate professor of Government (Captain, Spec. Res.), and Colonel John Perkins, respectively.

Ranging widely in age and previous experience, the group consists of approximately 55 Army and 30 Navy officers. The highest ranking men are Lieutenant Colonels and Lieutenant Commanders; all of the officers have had previous military duty, none having come directly from civilian life.