Crews to Race Tech, Cornell in Triangular Regatta on Charles

Freshmen to Row as Jayvees Tomorrow

Harvard's Varsity and J.V. boats will hit the Charles tomorrow afternoon in the Crimson's first triangular regatta since the war to face two M.I.T. and Cornell shells which have had the advantage of a formal spring racing season under their belts.

Following a nip-and-tuck fight for the J.V. spot, Charlie Loring's Freshmen will race as the second boat tomorrow, having won a coin toss from Bill Allen's crew. Both crews finished in a dead heat in Wednesday's time trial which was to decide the contest. The third contestant for the J.V. position, Shaw's boat, finished a poor third.

Crimson Prospects Bright

Coach Bert Haines is all smiles about his Varsity contest tomorrow as the Crimson eight goes to the stake with a good chance of bringing home both the Engineers' and the Redmen's crew shirts. Although Cornell is somewhat of an unknown factor in tomorrow's meet, Tech finished only several inches ahead of the Crimson boat in last spring's race. Tech defeated Cornell in the spring contests which Harvard did not enter. The average weights of the two boats are almost identical--Tech weighing in at 178 and Harvard at 177 1/2. In the spring race the weight advantage was with the Gray sweepswingers.

The J.V. race is any man's guess, with the odds possibly on the Tech side. The two Cornell squads are scheduled to arrive at 9:15 o'clock tonight and will be housed by Tech, official sponsors of the meet. They will leave tomorrow night following the race.

Haines is counting heavily on his stern powerhouse to deliver the goods tomorrow. Stroke John Chandler, who moved up from the J.V.'s, and Captain Dick Hunneman, veteran of several Harvard Varsities, supported at 6 by Bob Funk-houser, form a formidable combination. Bowman Bill Stiles, also a Varsity veteran, Ken McAfee at 5, John Kettele at 2, and cox Dan Paul are all left from last spring's Varsity.

The times for tomorrow's races are 4:15 o'clock for the JV contest and 5 o'clock for the Varsity event. Harvard's third boat will race Tech's third boat in a special pre-race event at 3:45 o'clock in which Cornell will not participate.

All tomorrow's races will be over the Henley distance of one mile and five-sixteenths, the course beginning just in front of the Tech boathouse and ending out in the Basin about a quarter of a mile past the M.I.T. Sailing Pavilion.

Carroll F. Getchell, acting H.A.A. director, also announced last night that the first two boats would receive certificates from the H.A.A. recognizing their participation in the formal events. These certificates, Getchell said, will be issued retroactively in all sports so that all men who have worked on first squads since the College began its informal athletic policy will receive them. No letters have been given since the spring of 1943.

The Harvard boatings (weights in parentheses):

Varsity: Stroke, John Chandler (175); 7, Dick Hunneman, Jr. (174); 6, Bob Funkhouser (191); 5, Ken McAfee, Jr. (185); 4, Morton Hamilton (175); 3, Bob Bunten, Jr. (180); 2, John Kettelle, Jr. (165); bow, Bill Stiles (170); cox, Dan Paul (122).

J.V.: Stroke, Charlie Loring (190); 7, Peter Roll (172); 6, Dick West (166); 5, John O'Brien, Jr. (210); 4, Marshall Cohan (172); 3, Selden Dickinson (187); 2, David White (160); bow, Charles Rimmer, Jr. (165); cox, Bill Longmaid (125).

Third Boat: Stroke, Bill Allen (159); 7, Ed Gordy (170); 6, Tom Steele (155); 5, Lewis Clark (168); 4, Bob Erskine, Jr. (165); 3, Henry Morgan, Jr. (170); 2, Peter Heller (172); bow, Arthur Nichols III (163); cox, Harold May (135).