24,476 HARVARD MEN NOW IN U.S. SERVICES

College's Death Toll Climbs, Reaches 335

Figures complete through January 6 put the total number of former Harvard students in service at 24,476, of which 335 have lost their lives, 53 are missing in action, and 53 are prisoners of war, the Harvard Alumni Association announced yesterday.

Of the 335 alumni deaths, 115 took place in the United States, 122 in the European war zone, 85 in the Asiatic area, with 13 recorded without specialized locations. Airplane crashes and serial combat account for 148 of the deaths.

178 Army Dead

The Army has the greatest number of Harvard war dead, with 178, while the Navy follows with 101. Eighteen have died in the Marines, 11 with the armed forces of Great Britain, eight in the Canadian services, seven in the United States Coast Guard, two in the Field Service, one in the Merchant Marine, and one each with the Fighting French and the Norwegian and Peruvian Air Forces. Six of the dead were civilians in special uniformed services or on government duty in combat areas.

1944 saw 145 of the alumni deaths, representing almost a 17 percent increase over 1943's 117. The casualty rates are now one dead out of every 73 in service.

227 Graduates Killed

Two hundred twenty-seven of the deaths represent members of Harvard College classes, 40 are from the Law School, 31 from the Business School, and 12 from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, while other deaths are scattered among the schools of Engineering, Divinity, Medicine, Dental Medicine, Public Health, Design, Education, and the Nieman Fellowship group. Five deaths have occurred among members of the faculty.

Every class from 1922 to 1947 inclusive has lost at least one member, while the class of 1941 leads with 25 deaths. The oldest class represented in the tabulation is that of 1905; and the class of 1917, which lost most heavily in the last world war, is represented by two deaths in the present conflict.