ELLIOTT, BACK FROM EUROPE, TELLS OF TOUR

Discloses Tasks of WPB in Problem of French Supplies

William Yandell Elliott, vice-Chairman of the War Production Board in charge of civilian requirements, and professor of Government, back from a month's trip through France and England with Paul V. McNutt of the War Manpower Commission and other high-ranking American officials, yesterday stated that, "although German war prisoners are not sure of a Nazi victory, neither are they afraid of an immediate Allied triumph. A stalemate and armistice is probably nearer to their feelings on the future of Europe."

Outlining the work of the prisoners, who are playing an important role in the rebuilding of France, Professor Elliott pointed out that they are partially doing the work that might more appropriately be accomplished by French and Belgian civilians. "This lack of maximum utilization of European civilian labor," he added, "is probably the chief weakness in the present setup.

Military Shipping Satisfactory

"Although the army's tremendous needs are being filled by the present trans-Atlantic transportation system, the French civilian demand is nowhere satisfied. Not only were the railroads hit by bombing, but shipping space is being used almost entirely by the armed forces. There is enough food in France, but the lack of trains cannot distribute it adequately; there is not enough clothing, and the shipping cannot import it."

The main objectives of the inspection were to discover the service requirements for new equipment, to find out the amount of effective salvage work going on, and to estimate the economic status of France and Belgium.

Although no action resulted directly from this tour, which included conferences with many important generals as well as civilian officials, it succeeded in its purpose of informing the WPB requirements division.