MOVIEGOER

A Mediocre Musical

Vicki Baum intended "Hotel Berlin" to give an insight into the Nazis' character structure and show how defeats are affecting their smug arrogance. Hollywood has adapted her novel into a lusty adventure story which has neither subtlety nor suspense and would be a complete failure if not for a few very impressive minor characterizations.

Amid the intrigues of Nazi generals and an assorted collection of actresses, Gestapo agents, hostesses, and underground agents (all thrown in to confuse the plot and slow up the action), Martin, who is important to the Allies for some unknown reason, tries to make his escape from the carefully guarded, Hotel Berlin. In the same surroundings, a Nazi general is purged for his part in the plot on Hitler's life and an old, tottering room clerk becomes drafted into der Fuehrer's army in the picture's only humorous scene.

The movie is somewhat redoemed by Peter Lorre's excellent portrayal of a German professor, just released from a concentration camp and offered a position in Argentina. Lorre combines macabre surrealism with a sympathetic Paul Muni touch in interpreting this interesting and unusual character.

Dramatically, "Hotel Berlin" is poorly constructed, with a great many unnecessary scenes added to creat atmosphere. The action is fast-moving and exciting until the end when the whole thing comes to an abrupt stop, leaving the audience up in the air. However, it is pleasant to see several characters end up in front of a gun. Doubtless, many moviegoers will feel they amply deserved their fates. elh