AIR FORCE HONORS BUSINESS SCHOOL FOR ACHIEVEMENT

Cite Smith and Learned for Their Share in War Effort

"In recognition of meritorious service," the Army Air Force has presented a Certificate of Service Award to the president and fellows of the University for the part played in training 3113 Army Officers and officer-candidates in scientific management of aerial operations. Award for individual service were also presented to Edmund P. Learned, professor of Marketing, and Dan T. Smith, associate professor of Finance and Taxation, both of the Business School faculty.

For his work as special consultant for program control to General Arnold, Professor Learned, first director of the Army Air Forces Statistical School, has received the Distinguished Service Medal. "His entire service, marked by conspicuous industry, initiative and far-sightedness, has been of inestimable benefit to the country and the effectiveness of the war effort," the citation read in part.

Smith who succeeded Professor Learned as director of the school in 1943, has received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Air Forces "for serving so admirably in a position of great responsibility, and for making an outstanding contribution in direct connection with the successful prosecution of the war."