Melville Conquers Stahlmen, 56-39

Powerful Raider Five Hands Squad Season's Twelfth Loss

It seemed for a few minutes Saturday night in the Indoor Athletic Building that the Varsity basketball team would finally snare a long overdue victory and vengeance for an earlier defeat, but a slow-starting Melville five applied a little more pressure, and coasted to a 56 to 39 win.

The rough-and-tumble contest was largely similar to the 47 to 35 licking which the Crimson suffered at the Motor Torpedo Boat Base in Rhode Island last month. In handing the Varsity its twelfth defeat of the campaign, Melville showed an edge in height, experience, and stamina which proved too much for the Stahlmen.

Berger, Bothe, and Amsden led the visitors' offense with 34 points between them, but Jack Clark of the Crimson came off with 13 points and the scoring honors. Coach Stahl's quintet was hampered by the absence of Bob Chapple and Marvin Jenkins.

Captain Mike Keene, playing with an injured back, netted eight points in the first 11 minutes, giving the Crimson a 16 to 10 margin, before he was rested by Stahl. Without Keene, the quintet seemed to lose its dash and its collective shooting-eye, and Melville overhauled the Crimson, emerging with a half-time lead of 27 to 20.

The Raiders set a fast pace in the second half, widening their lead to 36 to 24 before the Crimson got started. Forwards Clark and Gerry Johnson did all the scoring from that point on, and although they managed to narrow the Melville margin to four points at one stage, the Raiders more than made it up again, using their second team as the game closed.

Coach Adolph Samborski's B team had better luck earlier in the evening, shading Boston University, 37 to 35. In gaining their seventh victory, the Jayvees displayed smooth ball-handling and alert play, which enabled them to make up a The Harvard summary: f.g.  f.t.  pts. Johnson, r.f.  3  3  9 Clark, l.f.  3  7  13 Wolfe  0  0  0 Keene, c.  4  1  9 Noble  1  0  2 Wallace, r.g.  2  1  5 Burk  0  0  0 Collins, l.g.  0  1  1 Total  13  13  39

13 to 4 deficit in the first quarter and go into a 25 to 22 half-time lead.

Boston was never more than two baskets behind, however, and Samborski's outfit had to begin freezing tactics with only a one-point lead. John Boyce, with 11 points, and Frank Rinaldi, with 10, starred for the B team, while Moders of the visitors took scoring honors with 12 points.

Still in quest of its second victory, the Varsity will swing into action tomorrow when it takes on Cushing General Hospital at Framingham. The Jayvees will meet Governor Dummer Academy here at 5 o'clock tomorrow